I think I can safely say that all of us in the metro Detroit area are feeling the winter blues. For me, being motivated is essential to being an effective PR pro (even through snow, sleet and rain). As we crawl through these wintry days towards spring, here are some tips for fighting the PR winter blues:
- Be mindful. Mindfulness is a big buzzword right now for a reason – it works. Every time you see that mysterious sun that’s been hiding from us, have a moment of gratitude. Throughout your day, find things in your environment, gestures from others, etc. that make you happy and help keep your momentum up for the day.
- Participate in a PRSA Detroit event, PRSA webinar or some form of continual learning. Keeping your brain sharp is a great way to stay motivated. Not to mention, when you learn something new, it makes you a stronger asset to your company.
- Buy a few new fleece blankets and snuggle up with a good PR book. Similar to the previous tip, reading more about our industry can keep you chalk full of great ideas. Right now I’m reading Everybody Writes, Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content.
- Network. Engage. Even though I know you’re dying to go home from work and Netflix the night away, check out a PR Meetup. Check out a Twitter chat on a topic you care about. Something… ANYTHING.
- Bookmark this bad boy to remember that spring is right around the corner: http://countdown.onlineclock.net/countdowns/spring/
I hope these tips tide you over until spring.
Megan Peterson is a Digital Communication Strategist at Tweddle Group, a Detroit Economic Club Young Leader member, a national/Detroit chapter member of PRSA and a PR volunteer for The Lake House in St. Clair Shores.
Feature Photo: “Spring-snow-daffodil-flowers1 – West Virginia – ForestWander” by Wikimedia Commons