About the National Service Office
The National Service Office is the central operational engine for two evidence-based programs: Nurse-Family Partnership and Child First. In 2020, what was formally the National Service Office solely for Nurse-Family Partnership joined forces with Child First, a merger empowering two proven models to share complementary expertise, infrastructure and integrated services. The resulting unified entity works to ensure that health care, early childhood development, and the mental wellness of the entire family are served in proven ways to achieve tong-term positive outcomes.
The primary role of the Public Relations Manager is to develop and place local stories about the National Service Office that promote its brand, goals and values. The Public Relations Manager should have a passion for storytelling and promoting scientific research.
The National Service Office is headquartered in Denver, CO. This position is based remotely with preference given to the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast regions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote brand, organizational mission and activities through press.
- Develop and execute local press outreach plans.
- Lead building press strategies and public relations state advocacy campaigns to influence policymakers.
- Identify and develop stories for storytelling opportunities to publish and pitch across a variety of media.
- Develop relationships with reporters and build press lists.
- Partner with local programs and collaborate with National Service Office (NSO) staff and press consultants on setting local press goals and strategies.
- Advise local partners within the network on press strategy and best practices.
- Media train providers, parents (clients) and staff members and volunteers as needed.
- Write press releases, human interest stories, op-eds and other project assignments as needed.
- Develop key messages, talking points and FAQs on key announcements.
- Manage press activities for legislative advocacy, research announcements, etc.
- Copyedit press documents and other materials.
- Follow best practices and procedures for media relations’ opportunities and educate local programs and NSO staff.
- Manage the Public Relations and news coverage sections of the NSO public website, Intranet and Community website for local programs.
- Compile, evaluate and report press coverage for organization.
- Lead coordination with other colleagues to develop, publish and disseminate stories.
- Interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers and subject matter experts.
- Strive to increase individual, team, department and organizational capacity to work with and serve a variety of people and groups.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, emphasis on Journalism/Communications preferred
- 5-8 years’ minimum of public relations (press outreach) experience with passion for developing stories, pitching and working with reporters
- 4 years’ minimum experience writing human interest stories and op-eds
- 2 years’ minimum experience working in communications to impact government affairs & advocacy goals
- Experience in nonprofit, public health and early childhood and poverty issues preferred
- 2 years’ minimum experience leading media trainings
- 5 years’ minimum experience writing and editing using AP Style
- 3 years’ minimum experience using media tracking software (such as Meltwater)
- Comfortable learning new software to build website pages (such as WordPress) and coordinating project documents (such as Microsoft Teams)
- Highly organized and thrives leading coordination across multiple departments and with external partners
- Works independently and is comfortable working remotely
- Experience working with vulnerable families and children (media training and sharing stories with press) preferred
- Experience translating scientific/medical research into messages for public audiences preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 15-20% of time and work flexible hours
- Fluency in Spanish a plus, but not required
This position is a member of the External Affairs team, reports to the Director, Public Relations, and has no direct reports.
- Salary is determined based on experience and skill set. Geograpic adjustments will be considered.
- Range: $54,000 – $75,000
The National Service Office offers the following benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Group Term Life Insurance, Short-term and long-term disability, vacation time, personal time, sick time and 9 paid holidays.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.