***Applicants must include Cover letter and Resume to be considered
General Summary: Plans, coordinates, communicates and executes efforts to obtain news media coverage to protect the health system’s reputation, promote the health system’s programs and services and elevate Beaumont’s local, regional, national and international presence. Supports Beaumont’s strategic communications, marketing objectives and social media efforts.
Coordinates media relations activities. Identifies and prepares organization spokespeople; pitches story ideas to local and national media; organizes online and in-person news conferences, events and interviews; responds promptly to media inquiries.
- Supports reputation management for Beaumont Health.
- Educates team members and leaders on media relations and balances expectations using diplomacy and tact.
- Develops and nurtures relationships with local, regional, national and international media.
- Provides media training for individual interviews and more broadly through educational workshops. Mentors and coaches other Marketing Communications staff and interns. Coordinates media team efforts, including writing, posting, distributing and pitching news releases and patient stories that support and enhance Beaumont.
- Ability to serve as a Public Information Officer in a crisis.
- Supports growth objectives of Clinical Care Programs. Attends meetings; writes news releases and patient stories; develops and oversees external communication plans; achieves and reports outcomes.
- Builds trusting relationships with physicians and hospital staff, which drives access to patients with newsworthy stories. Does extensive work with these patients to gain legal consent to share their stories; vet their stories; encourage their participation; gain their trust; interview them, their families and Beaumont caregivers; plan the logistics of and assist with photo shoots; plan the logistics of, write video scripts for, coordinate and assist with video productions; and obtain approval of stories from patients and their caregivers. Provides HIPPA education to team members, patients and families.
- Tracks media activities and results using department systems (TVEyes, Cision, Google searches). Shares media links/files with hospital leaders, physicians, others.
- Supports marketing efforts by writing advertorials, sponsored content and other paid communications and broadcasts, coordinating efforts through a strategic plan.
- Supports External Communications leadership and takes on special projects, as assigned.
- Provides crisis/disaster communication as needed. Harnesses industry trends by participating in webinars, internal and external workshops and conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, mass communication or related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of writing, communications, media or public relations experience.
- Ability to influence and advise as well as build and nurture trusting working relationships with people at all levels.
- Be available for on-call coverage one week per month and for occasional evening or weekend assignments, with no additional compensation.
- Be accessible to the news media outside of normal business hours.
- Highly visible position. High level of creativity, initiative and self-direction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with AP Style proficiency.
- Detail- and deadline-oriented.
- Ability to work independently and to react quickly and confidently in stressful situations.
- Exemplify the Beaumont Standards, interacting in respectful manner considerate of age and physical abilities.
- Web content management, photo editing software and social media experience preferred.
Must be able to use your own personal vehicle to perform this job successfully.
To apply for this job please visit careers.beaumont.org.