In addition to local job opportunities and internships, being a member of the Detroit Chapter of PRSA gives you acess to the PRSA National, a community of more than 22,000 public relations and communications professionals across the United States.Members represent nearly every practice area and professional and academic setting within the public relations field. In addition, there are more than 10,000 students who are members of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) at colleges and universities here and abroad.
Want to accelerate your career? PRSA National can help.
- Networking. PRSA National can help you extend your network of professional contacts. The 14 Professional Interest Sections put you in touch with other PRSA members who share your particular knowledge and expertise, and offer you niche conferences and learning opportunities.
- Professional Recognition. Each year, PRSA offers you the chance to gain the recognition that your public relations programs deserve. The Silver Anvil evening is the oldest and most prestigious industry award event, a true celebration representing the pinnacle of public relations achievement. Other PRSA awards honor individual accomplishment, tactical excellence and achievement in specialized practice areas.
- Learning. The professional development programs and industry conferences were the first of their kind, and continue to be imitated for their cutting-edge topics, thought-leading speakers and knowledge- and skill-building practicality. PRSA National also offers the industry’s only accreditation program: the Accredited in Public Relations (APR) program.
- Intelligence. PRSA National’s award-winning periodicals, daily news updates and blogs help you stay on top of emerging trends and industry news
- PRSA Jobcenter. Job seekers can enhance their job search through a career advice library, resume guide and resume critique service, as well as job mentoringand an “Ask the Experts” forum that offers mentoring guidance from seasoned public relations professionals. Job seekers can post their resume for free, obtain salary advice, read career descriptions, subscribe to job feeds and job alerts and discover resume tips.
- PRSA Counselors Academy. Counselors Academy, a professional section of PRSA, is made up of agency owners/leaders and solo practitioners. If you own an agency or solo practice, or are a senior leader at an agency with at least 10 years’ experience in the field of Public Relations or Integrated Marketing Communications, Counselors Academy may be the right fit for you. The group shares best practices regarding agency/business management with programming and online forums that range in subjects from client and employee retention, new business development, maximizing profitability to defining an exit strategy. If you’d like to know more, please contact Terri Howe, APR, Executive Committee Member and Membership Chair for Counselors Academy, at [email protected] or call 616-997-6235.